How to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
Dark circles under the eyes can make you look much older than you are. They also give the face a tired appearance that will not go away until the circles are gone. There are many different causes for dark circles, the most common of which are allergies, and sleep deprivation. Dark circles caused by these are treatable but this is not always the case. Sometimes, the circles are hereditary or can be caused by illness. In these instances, they may never fully go away but can be minimized or concealed.
Knowing the cause of dark circles
Allergies "" this is the most common cause of dark circles under the eyes. If the thing that is causing an allergic reaction (allergen) is removed the dark circles will fade. A common side effect of allergies is nasal congestion. The veins under the eyes and at the sides of the nose become dilated and will darken causing the dark circles.
Sleep deprivation "" Stress which leads to insomnia or sleep apnea will cause discoloration of the skin especially under the eyes.
Picking a treatment
Not all of the treatments for dark circles will work and the methods described here are dependent on the cause of the dark circles.
Method one: Cucumbers
1. Chill the cucumber in the refrigerator overnight
2. remove and slice the cucumber into thick slices
3. Lie reclined and place the cucumbers over closed eyes for 10 "" 15 minutes each day
4. This can be repeated twice daily until the dark circles are reduced.
Method two: Teabags
1. Dip the tea bag in warm water and then allow it to cool
2. Place the cool teabags over each eye while lying down for 10 - 15 minutes
Method three: Frozen spoon
- Run a tablespoon under the tap for a few seconds
- Place the spoon in the freezer for 5 minutes
- Remove the spoon and place the back of it over the eyes applying light pressure for 5 "" 10 minutes
Method four: Potato puree
1. Wash one large potato and puree using a blender or food processer
2. Place the puree over each eye and lie still with it on for 30 minutes
3. Wash off with soap and warm water
Method four: Getting adequate rest
If dark circles are caused by sleep deprivation, the answer to them is to simply get more sleep. The average requirement each night is 7-9 hours.
This may require sleep aids and it is recommended that you see a physician who will help to treat your problem
Method five: Over the counter allergy medications
This method is only recommended in instances where it is known dark circles are as a result of allergies
Step one: Purchase an over the counter allergy medication and take as directed
Step two: Use another method while treating allergies to remove the dark circles faster.
Tips and warnings
- If dark circles persist or are hereditary, consult a dermatologist for more effective treatment
- Wear sunscreen to protect the skin and reduce the appearance of dark circles while treating them
- Be patient while treating dark circles, no method get rid of them in one treatment.
Jenny richards is a free lancer writer and content builder of http://www.whatcauses.net
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.