Ten Foods to Avoid When Trying to Lose Weight
No matter what plan you are following there are some foods that should be avoided if you seriously want to lose weight. Let’s look at 10 of them and the reason’s you should not allow them in your diet.
1. Sugar: Sugar is just empty calories with no nutritional value. There is even evidence that it causes disease. It definitely contributes to the growing incidence of diabetes. Do a Google search and you will find numerous articles on the danger, and disease causing, effects of sugar.
2. Soda: Again, just empty calories with no nutritional value. They also contribute to tooth decay.
3. Starchy vegetables: Potatoes are an excellent example of this one. I know everyone loves them, but your body treats potatoes just as it does sugar. They cause a rise in blood sugar, and are harder for your body to process. Potatoes and other starchy vegetables, when eaten often, help keep the body in an elevated insulin state, making it that much harder to lose weight.
4. White bread: Most of the nutrients have been bleached out of the bread during the processing, making it totally useless from a nutritional stand point. The high carbohydrate content makes it detrimental to weight loss also.
5. Fried foods: One of the main reasons for this is because they most often contain partially hydrogenated oil. The body doesn’t even know how to process this chemical because it’s not natural. There is even evidence it can cause cancer.
6. Fruit juice: You are much better off eating the actual fruit, than drinking fruit juice. If you have to have fruit juice, make sure it is 100% juice with no fructose corn syrup added.
7. Caffeine: Not only does caffeine cause dehydration, it can also increase appetite in some people.
8. Margarine: It contains hydrogenated oil, and is not natural.
9. White flour: Most of the nutrients are removed in foods made with white flour.
10. High glycemic fruits: These include watermelon, bananas, citrus fruits, raisins, and pineapple. These fruits are too high in sugar.
It may seem impossible to eat if you eliminate all of those foods, but it’s not. You can still have a wide variety of tasty items in your diet. There are many vegetables that are not starchy that you should partake of on a regular basis. Also, eggs and meat contain good fats that your body needs. Be sure and read nutrition labels and check for partially hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup. Take this advice into account while shopping and make good food choices and your body will thank you by releasing those stubborn pounds!
Tags: Fast Food , Low Carb , Low Fat , Sugar , Fatty Foods , Healthy Foods , Weight Loss
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.