In a study produced in Men’s Grooming Consumer Report, 75 percent of men ages 18 and up are not currently using facial skincare products. Many men feel that facial products are “girly” and do not use skincare products unless addressing a certain problem, such as acne. Dr. Sanjiv Saini of MD Dermatology is here to inform men of all ages that proper skincare is necessary and how to go about it.
“Our skin is our largest organ and we need to feed our skin the way we feed our bodies,” affirms Dr. Sanjiv Saini of MD Dermatology, with locations in Edgewater and Lexington Park, Maryland. “Unfortunately, many men are washing their face with a bar of soap and rushing out the door. This isn’t the way to keep your skin healthy.”
If your skincare routine is lacking, here are five tips to keep your skin healthy:
· Avoid Bar Soap. Bar soap contains binders to hold soap together and have a higher pH balance than products that are specifically designed for your face, therefore leading to dry skin. Dry or dehydrated skin is bad for the long-term health and look of your skin. If you have normal to dry skin, you may prefer a milk, lotion or cream-based cleanser. If you have normal to oily skin, you may prefer a foaming or gel cleanser.
· The Right Razor. Avoid cheap razors. Choose a razor that fits your skin’s sensitivity and beard coarseness. A moisturizing shaving gel is key to providing a barrier of protection, so don’t be shy about using a quality product. Keep in mind that facial hairs are much softer after using warm water, so splash warm water on the areas where you will shave.
· After-Shave. Using after-shave hydrates and soothes, as well as seals the skin after a shave. Be sure to purchase an alcohol-free after-shave as alcohol dries the skin.
· Moisturize Daily. Keeping skin hydrated makes it look and feel healthy as well as slows down the aging process. Look for a moisturizer with vitamins and antioxidants, such as Co-Q10 and green tea. Antioxidants protect our skin from free radical damage, which is turn slows down aging.
· Sunscreen. Use a physical sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher daily. Men who don’t use sunscreen increase their risk of getting sun damage, which can result in redness, irritation, extra blood vessels, brown spots, wrinkles and skin cancer.
“It’s essential to use a cleanser at night to wash away the dirt and oils of the day. Then use an alcohol-free toner to balance your skin’s pH balance. Finally, use a night cream with peptides to leave your skin looking younger,” affirms Saini. “Skin cells do their repair work most effectively at night. It’s vital to take care of your face now by taking precautions with sunscreen and the right cleanser. You only get one chance to keep your skin healthy!”
MD Dermatology offers a full line of skincare products and clinical dermatology procedures including precision neck contouring, laser services, injection services, microdermabrasion, chemical peels, and more. They are a medically directed spa that offers a wide range of services to meet the unique needs of every patient. For additional information, visit their site at: www.mddermatology.com