It is important for you to be aware of how to choose an HVAC contractor because not all contractors are the same. Doing your research could actually mean the difference between getting a professionally installed and solid air conditioner or really poor service. Do you think all doctors are same? Are all plumbers equally good? Obviously not and the same is applicable to HVAC contractors. Not all HVAC contractors are legit; some are just handymen with a truck and sticker and they can rip you off. Therefore, you have to exercise caution when you want your air conditioning unit installed and choose the right HVAC contractor.
Some of the top tips for making the right decision are outlined as follows:
- Always be wary of any HVAC contractor that’s willing to provide you a bid over the phone. Just like cars, there are no two automobile units that can function in the same way. So, how can a contractor give you a bid without even looking at it? There are too many factors they cannot judge on the phone like the insulation, windows and air-ducts etc. and no professional HVAC contractor would ever agree to provide you a quote on the phone without checking out the unit in person.
- Don’t just rely on the experience of your HVAC contractor. Sure, they might have worked in this field for several years, but remember that technology is undergoing constant change. It is possible that the contractor may not be so well-versed in cutting edge technologies and end up damaging your air conditioning unit altogether. Hence, experience should not be your deciding factor.
- Checking licenses is important. There are a horde of contractors out there that claim to be licensed, but are just scamming people by working under the radar. Remember that there is too much at stake because these contractors can manipulate gas lines as well as plumbing and electrical applications. You don’t want them to close your gas line or do create some other issue, do you? A reliable HVAC contractor is one that has their license number mentioned on nearly all their literature and also on their website. You can easily verify the license online.
- Always get a written bid or estimate from the HVAC contractor. It has become the norm for service people to lure in the customer by offering to charge a lower price. However, when you finally get the invoice, you are left with a huge liability because they have added hidden charges you were unaware of. It is better to be safe than sorry so you should ask your HVAC contractor to provide you with a written bid. This will be a list of all the tasks that have to be done along with their price.
- Talk to other clients and go through their testimonials. These days, social media has become an excellent source for finding out the reality of a business. You can visit the contractor’s page on Facebook and find out what people are saying about it. This will give you an idea of the kind of services the HVAC contractor can offer you and it will help a great deal in decision making.
- Don’t just settle for the lowest cost. This can be a huge mistake because it ends up costing you more in the long term. You are compromising on quality by opting for low-cost HVAC contractors as they may not use proper equipment and materials so you will have to deal with problems again, soon.
Consider all these factors and you will be able to choose the best HVAC contractor for your needs. You can consider National Air Warehouse as they have made pretty good reputation within a short period of time.