Keeping a home odor-free can turn into a never-ending battle. A majority of deodorizing sprays available in the market is filled with toxic chemicals that you may not want to introduce into your home. Thankfully, there are herbal items in homes that can be used to eliminate odors without using chemical-based harmful cleaners.
We all know the many health benefits of lemon peels. Lemons are perhaps the go-to ingredient in every home when it comes to neutralizing odors. The lemony aroma lingering in your home can be relaxing, soothing and refreshing, especially in summer.
- Add a cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice at the bottom of your dishwasher and run the rinse cycle. Not only will this help to deodorize the dishwasher, but it will also disinfect it.
- After cooking up a storm in your kitchen, you can get rid of food odors by simmering a pot of lemon peels, cloves and cinnamon sticks. The warm, spicy aroma will fill your kitchen and remove the odors.
Take fresh lavender and place branches strategically around your home to keep odors at bay and fill your home with soothing and relaxing fragrance. You can leave the branches to dry as the dried flowers will continue to refresh your home. You can also place the dried lavender flowers into clean socks and then place them in your closet, linen cupboard and drawers to remove musty odors and get rid of unpleasant smells.
- Herbal Room Freshener
Fill a pot with water and throw in some rosemary, sage, thyme and some freshly squeezed lemon juice. Allow the pot to simmer. Once the herbs release their essential oils, lovely scents of summer will permeate through your home, getting rid of offensive smells within no time.
- Citrus Rind Air Freshener
If you have pets, you will have odors that guests may not appreciate. You can get rid of pet-induced odors by slicing up a citrus fruit, scooping out the flesh and then filling the rind with sea salt. Place this rind-salt bowl in the odoriferous area and it will soak up the nasty smells. Just replace the salt and rind every two to three days to keep the area odor-free and fresh.
- Dried Garden Herbs
From your kitchen garden, pluck sage, thyme, rosemary and parsley. Form small bundles of the herbs to create bouquets and place them on your mantel, hang them upside down on your walls and in vases without water. These bouquets will fill your home with lovely and soothing aromas that will get rid of the odors.
- Apple Deodorizer
If there is one area in your home that reeks, just slice an apple into half. Place one half in the area and let it stand for several hours. The apple will absorb the stink and leave the area, odor-free. This is a great trick for the kitchen if you are cooking foods with strong odors.
Eucalyptus has antibacterial and antifungal properties along with being a natural deodorizer. It can freshen your closet or any other musty area in your home.
- Place a few branches of eucalyptus in your closet to remove the stale, musty odor. Replace the branches when the fragrance reduces.
- Hang a couple of fresh eucalyptus branches to your showerhead. When you shower with warm water, the scent will permeate through your bathroom, negating odors and also making you feel fresh and energized.
These simple hacks will go a long way in keeping your kitchen and home odor free and squeaky clean! Try them today!