May 8th is Mother’s Day, making it the perfect time to find a unique gift for moms everywhere. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there are over 40 million moms in the country. They all have different tastes and interests, but there is a gift that each of them will enjoy. While many people opt for flowers and cards, this is a good year to reach beyond the basics and go for something a little more fun and unique.
“Moms deserve to have something unique to show that we appreciate them at Mother’s Day and all year long,” explains Ken Falke, chairman and founder of the Boulder Crest Retreat. “There are so many great options out there that will make mom feel special and appreciated.”
Here are 7 unique gifts for mom this Mother’s Day:
1. Bottle of Wine. Millions of moms love to drink wine. Opt for giving them a unique one that also supports a cause. For example, the Boulder Crest Retreat wine, which is made by the Tackitt Family Vineyards, helps to support the mission of providing military families with the therapy they need to heal. Moms will love knowing that their Cabernet Sauvignon is also doing a good deed.
2. A brunch. Invite all of the moms in your life to attend a Mother’s Day brunch. Have lots of good food items and drinks to choose from, and have them take a seat while they get waited on.
3. A class. There are plenty of classes out there that mom may be interested in, but doesn’t want to spend the money on. Search for a class she would be interested in, such as Mediterranean cooking, salsa dancing, or painting, and sign her up.
4. Electronic reading. To help mom have free access to lots of books over the next year, pay for a one year subscription for an electronic book service. This way she can read as many as she’d like and it won’t cost her a dime.
5. Historical info. Get mom a subscription to Ancestry.com, which gives her access to hours filled with finding family tree information.
6. Special journal. A custom or unique journal is always a welcome gift for moms. Write a special message on the first page of the journal, or include a favorite poem or quote, helping to give her something special to save.
7. An experience. More than ever, people need to get out and have some experiences. Think of a unique experience to do with mom, such as a hike and picnic, going kayaking together, a camping trip, or fresh berry picking.
“Moms will always be happy with anything they get, of course, they just want to be remembered,” adds Falke. “When you choose something unique though, you are showing her that you put a little more thought into showing her your appreciation this year. It’s just a way to put another smile on her face, which is always a good thing.”
The Boulder Crest Retreat wine is a product of Tackitt Family Vineyards, owned by Leon Tackitt, a retired Naval Officer (EOD) and his wife, Cindy. The award-winning vineyard was started in 2007, and all proceeds from the BCR-labeled wine go to help the combat veterans attending the Boulder Crest Retreat for Military and Veteran Wellness. The wine is currently available in 25 states, and online. The wine is a Cabernet Sauvignon, which is paired nicely with pork, spicy Italian red sauce dishes, and barbecue. In the Virginia area, it is available at Total Wine & More, Billbacks, Cork & Fork, Cordial Fine Wine and Beer, Vino Market, Kroger, and others. Visit the site online for more information:www.tackittfamilyvineyards.com.