“…Italy is not like other countries. It is notoriously corrupt, so politics and justice overlap.”“Something else to which Italians are largely oblivious is the routine trampling on the rights of suspects and others caught up in investigations. Information is selectively leaked to reporters before the accused come to trial, often creating a presumption of guilt that is difficult to reverse, whether in court or in the public mind. An example is the case of Amanda Knox, an American student, and her Italian boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, who were convicted last year of the murder of Ms. Knox’s British flatmate.”
“Legendary traveler Lemuel Gulliver had the misfortune to be caught in a violent storm at sea. Driven far off his course, his ship sunk, his shipmates dead and his lifeboat gone, Gulliver swam and waded till he happened upon an unknown island. Safely removed from the terrible weather, Jonathan Swift’s famous character awoke to find that he was captive and at the mercy of a perfect storm of political intrigue among a very little people, the 6” tall, Lilliputians.
FM AMEMBASSY ROME
TO SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 1244
INFO AMCONSUL FLORENCE
SUBJECT: ARREST UPDATE: AMANDA KNOX
1. NAME: Knox, Amanda Marie
9. CHARGES: Participation in voluntary manslaughter with aggravating circumstances of cruelty (potential maximum sentence: life imprisonment; however, in Italy “life imprisonment” equates to 30 years) ; Participation in sexual assault (possible sentence: 5 – 10 years) ; Simulated robbery (possible sentence: 1 – 3 years) ; Slander (stemming from Ms. Knox’s accusation against Patrick Lumumba ; possible sentence: 6 – 20 years) ; Possession of weapons (possible sentence: up to 1 year) ; Aggravated theft (possible sentence: 3 – 10 years)
10. PLACE OF DETENTION : Capanne Penitentiary, Perugia, Italy
12. TRIAL/HEARING DATE: January 16, 2009
12. TRIAL/HEARING DATE: Trial is ongoing. Hearings take place every Friday and Saturday. The court plans to follow the same weekly hearing schedule in the foreseeable future.
SUBJECT: Arrest Update: Amcit Amanda Knox
12. TRIAL/HEARING DATE: Trial is ongoing. Hearings take place every Friday and Saturday. According to Ms. Knox’s attorney, the trial is being moved to an accelerated time-table and beginning June 4, hearings will be held three times a week, on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
18. ACCESS: ConOff and ConAsst visite Ms. Knox on May 14, 2009 at Le Capanne prison in Perugia, Italy.