At times, your skin may seem impossible to manage: For instance, you may find yourself waking up to a huge zit on your nose on the very same day you were planning on a romantic evening with your significant other. But alas! There is good news – for the man and the woman on the run.
1. To start off with, exfoliation is the first step to keeping wrinkles, flaky skin and acne at bay and it is done by scrubbing to get rid of dead skin cells to rejuvenate and expose younger cells. This can be done by investing in reusable nylon exfoliating gloves or a loofa, which is a sponge made from the loofa plant.
A good facial exfoliation routine involves a cleanser or foamer. Some high-quality, inexpensive cleansers available on the market are Clinique, 4Voo.com, Baxter of California and Nivea for Men.
Just the shedding of “old” skin can unclog pores, keep your skin feeling and looking clean, and cut down on the ubiquitous acne, not to mention giving you a smoother shave – the holy grail of every man’s routine.
2. Your face needs special care, especially if you have oily skin. It would be a good idea to wash your face once or twice daily with warm water and a mild cleanser.
Elizabeth Arden 2 in 1 Cleanser is an oil-free, mild, non-drying foaming cleanser and toner. It may be used for all skin types and it leaves the skin feeling soft, smooth and energized. It’s mild and effective cleansing system does not leave skin dry, protects skin from pollutants with natural antioxidants and tones, refreshes and minimizes the appearance of pores.
On the other hand, if you have dry, flaky, or itchy skin, you can use a moisturizing lotion or cream. Try to opt for a moisturizer without colors and perfumes. Petroleum jelly can work as well. If pimples are a concern, look for a moisturizer that is non-comedogenic (does not cause pimples).
3. Alternatively, if you can afford the time to pamper yourself, Biore Cleanse’s Self-Heating Mask is the original one-minute deep cleansing facial mask and it might work wonders for you. It is designed to instantly heat up on your face to open pores. The heating action purifies the skin as it absorbs excess oils and deep cleanses pores clogged with dirt. When the mask turns blue, the process is complete and the mask can be rinsed away to give you a smooth, radiant, healthy looking skin. The Biore mask comes in 6 single-use packages, 7.5g each and is $10.95 per box.
4. As most oil-producing glands are on the forehead, nose, and chin, this area, called the T-zone, is where you are most likely to have acne. When pimples come to mind, some men think that scrubbing the face is the best solution. Au contraire!
For acne management, wash your face twice a day (not more) with warm water and a mild cleanser made specifically for acne. Massage your face gently with circular motions, using your fingertips. Do not scrub, as over washing or scrubbing can cause skin to become inflamed. The American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) suggests using an over-the-counter lotion containing benzoyl peroxide after cleansing your face. Do not pop pimples as it pushes infected material into the skin, in turn, leading to more swelling, redness and maybe even scarring.
Neutrogena’s Blackhead Eliminating Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment with Glycolic Acid penetrates to get rid of most blackheads and help prevent new ones. Its intensive gel mask cools your skin as it dissolves blackheads. A 2.0 oz cream costs $9.50.
5. Use a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of a minimum of 15. If you’re the kind of person who sweats a lot then reapply sunscreen every 2 to 3 hours (even if the labeling says the sunscreen is waterproof).
Neutrogena’s Healthy Skin Lotion with SPF 15 moisturizes, protects with SPF, and smoothes skin with alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) and vitamin C – pretty much the perfect all-purpose face lotion.
When you buy sunscreen, pick one that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. The words, “broad spectrum protection” or UVA protection in addition to the SPF of 15 or greater indicate that you have the right one. The sun’s rays are strongest between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM. Take frequent breaks from the outdoors during this period. Protect your face and eyes with a hat and sunglasses that have 100% UV protection.
The skin is a reflection of our bodies and healthy skin is often associated with beauty. But, healthy skin is more than just good looks – it’s also a means for our survival. Keeping that in mind, using the right skin care techniques, eating a healthy diet and getting lots of exercise might be all you need to do to keep your skin glowing and impressing women!