GoPro and Alternative Companies in 2016
GoPro is the best brand in the market for powerful cameras which captures and records images in full High Definition (HD). GoPro is not a very cheap brand, however, it is becoming increasingly affordable as the market veers towards being more commoditized. The brand covered in this article range from $250 to $ 500. They are the latest models in the market available on Amazon and other online purchase websites. The choice of any camera depends on personal or commercial needs, with functionality in mind. A sports media house need Contour+ sports camera while main stream media house Sony FDX Camera is ideal; reason being multiple functionality.
The following are the best five latest models.
- Sony FDX action camera
- TomTom Bandit action camera
- Sony HDR Mini action camera
- Eyeshot HD action
- Contour+2 sports camera
- Toshiba Camileo X-sports
Sony FDX action camera
Sony FDR-X100V/W 4K action camera is the latest in the GoPro brand, outdoing GoPro hero 4 black
- Professional footage 4k with up to 240p H/120p High definition.
- Ultra wide quality 170®.
- Brightness of f/2.8 bright Zeiss lens.
- Captures steady shot recommended for sporting and slow movement.
- Water and splash proof in rough terrain without compromising quality.
- In built Wi-Fi.
- Has stereo mic to reduce noise.
- Flexible for manual control.
- In-built movie making software for editing.
- Has U stream for video streaming.
- Has a loop recording feature.
TomTom Bandit action camera
The first camera in the GoPro series with in- built media server that allows editing recorded videos without downloading. Its in-built application allows media sharing within minutes of capture. A camera which you can shake it but it still captures events while adding music too. Its GPS sensor can note the change in altitude, speed, acceleration, rotation and heart rate.
- HD wide angle field view.
- Action quality footage of between 7k and 4k at 15p- 1080p.
- Can take 8MP or 16MP single photos.
- Time lapse rate of between 1/s to 1/60s.
- Has slow motion feature 1080pX2/720pX4/WVGA x6
- No cables for battery charging but USB for both charging and file transfer.
- Can film up to 3 hours nonstop.
- Has 1080p at 30fps.
- Goes to a standby mode after every 2 minutes.
- Battery capacity of 1900mAh
- Has LEDS battery with indicators
SONY HDR-AZIVR Action cam Mini
This type is the best alternative in this series of cameras. It’s a small and light in weight with its GPS system on the wrist band remote and not on the camera’s body. It weighs 63 grams inclusive of the battery.
- Records HD video at 30fps or 60 fps and slow motion at 120 fps at 720p.
- Has 170 degree Zeiss Tessar f2.8 sensor lens.
- Has 11.p mega pixel lens and a stereo mic.
- Uses standard micro SD card to store pictures and videos.
- It is splash and water proof of up to 9.8ft.
- A user can change settings, edit, delete and play back with its wrist mounted remote.
- Can control 5 action cameras remotely through its wireless connection.
- Has a Wi-Fi functionality which enables live streaming on the internet.
Eyeshot HD Action
This is yet another great alternative for GoPro. Its wrist remote, control all actions which can be monitored concurrently.
- Has a water proof and shock proof feature allowing to be used under water for up to 60m deep.
- It has a chip, tough and sleek exterior for quality images and capture.
- It has a wrist watch remote control, making it a very convenient and portable camera.
- It has an in build Wi-Fi with a free application available on Google Appstore.
Contour+2 sports camera
It has a rotating lens with 170 degree wide-angle lens. It has its own in-built contour story teller software which provides real time information on speed, altitude, and distance from the point of recording.
- In built blue tooth function compatible to smartphone for other functions.
- It has a video streaming feature.
- Ii has an instant on- record switch.
- Can be on photo mode and laser alignment.
- It comes with a separate water proof case to help when filming under water.
- It has Professional in-built GPS with 1080p video for monitoring.
Toshiba Camileo X-sports
This is considered the cheapest in the GoPro sport camera series for sporting activities.
- It has a separate water proof case that allows filming underwater for up to 60m.
- It has a dedicated app that allows compatibility with smartphones.
- It has a video photo mode that enables you to capture photos while recording.
- It has several mounts to allow capture at any angle and depth.
- It can be remote controlled.
Where are GoPro alternatives suitable?
These cameras are suitable for
- Underwater filming due to the in-built waterproof or water proof cases.
- Sport action- whatever type of sport whether it involves fast or slow movement these series are able to capture.
- Live event- In recording live events which are of public interest, these are the best since they have a sharing function and smartphone compatibility.
- Secretive filming- very sensitive information that requires undercover, the in-built GPS with sensors of these GoPro series will capture.
The six GoPro alternative cameras discussed above are the most expensive in the GoPro brand but they give value for the money. As at Dec 2015, the price ranged from $272-$448 arranged in a descending order based on pricing. Sony FDX action camera is the most expensive. Toshiba Camileo X-sports is least expensive of the brands above. Although, there are cheaper models, purchase of GoPro brand requires research and patience. GoPro coupon codes are available in different stores. It is evident; these cameras well suit underwater filming. They are well suited for video streaming and sharing information platforms. The GPS function in all of them allows sensor effect on altitude, speed and temperature. All of them support different angle and depth capture.