It’s been reported 12,500 people in “Saint John the Baptist” parish are at risk, a brain-eating amoeba has been detected in the water system there. It’s advised that people in Reserve, Garyville and Mount Airy take the necessary precautions.
The Department of Health and Hospitals took a water sample two weeks ago and it tested positive for the potentially deadly bacteria. They have found out too that the parish drinking water was not in compliance with state-mandated disinfectant levels. This is the same type of amoeba that was found in both Saint Bernard and Desoto parishes that has been blamed for two people’s deaths. Health officials have said the bacteria are only harmful if it is ingested through the nose.
The local residents have said, “We need water and we have to boil it first before we can use it.” Health officials have stated, “We’re taking every step necessary to relieve St. John Water District number one of that threat.”
The children there have stated, “They need to clean this cause they need to take a clean bath…we’re dirty.
They’re going to start a chlorine burn through the water system today and then that’ll be followed by a 60 day wait to see if the brain eating amoeba has been flushed out.
The St. John Parish president, Natalie Robottom, said, “The problem is for people to make sure the water does not go up their noses.”
“The amoeba finds itself way back of people’s noses and works its way into their central nervous system around their brains and once it gets there, it causes destruction,” Dr. William Schaffner of Vanderbilt University has stated.
This virus breeds and lives in warm standing bodies of water…once people have contracted it they may experience severe headaches, nausea and vomiting…and in most cases death. Officials have indicated the chlorine burn will last 60 days.
Writer of this article is Barbara Kasey Smith and it is based upon an article she read on AOL.Com.