It’s difficult today to find an adult who doesn’t have a silver filling in their mouth. After all, it’s believed that around 42 percent of children have had cavities in their teeth, and 91 percent of adults have had them. Millions of people have had these cavities filled with a “silver” substance, which contains around 50 percent mercury. The problem is that mercury is a neurotoxin, which is a substance that we know to be poisonous to nerve tissue. Millions of unsuspecting people today walk around with these silver fillings that may actually be damaging their health without them even realizing it.
“Countries are finally beginning to ban and restrict the use of mercury in fillings,” explains Dr. Bruno Sharp, a fourth-generation dentist who created a line of products called Dr. Sharp Dentistry, and is celebrating his 10th year as a Natural Oral Care provider. “The more people learn about the dangers, the less they want them in their mouths or to be working with them in the dental office. Mercury is toxic and has no place going in someone’s mouth.”
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), when fillings containing mercury are placed in or removed from the teeth, they can release a small amount of mercury vapor. Additionally, mercury vapor can be released as people chew. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reports that mercury has been used in fillings for over 150 years, and that one of the potential risks is that it releases low levels of mercury in the form of vapor that can be inhaled and absorbed by the lungs. High levels of the vapor exposure are associated with damaging the brain and kidneys. The FDA also reports that mercury from the dental fillings is bio accumulative, which means that it builds up in the body’s organs and tissues.
In addition to the direct affect on human health that mercury fillings can have, there is also an environmental impact. The EPA reports that dental offices are the single largest source of mercury at sewage treatment plants. Even when it is separated from sewers, it can end up being disposed of in other ways that can lead to environmental damage, such as in landfills where it can end up in ground water or the air, through incinerators where it can be emitted into the air, or applied as sludge to agricultural land as fertilizer.
The good news is that there are dental filling alternatives that are safer, including resin composite, porcelain, and gold alloys, among others. Those who are considering fillings for themselves or their children should speak to their dentist about safer alternatives. Additionally, families can reduce their exposure to chemicals and toxins when it comes to oral hygiene by opting for all natural oral care products that do not contain artificial colors and flavors, and are fluoride free. Dr. Sharp also recently helped a patient who was suffering from mercury contamination by safely removing the metal fillings.
“Most people are taught to brush their teeth, but they are not taught much oral care safety beyond that,” added Dr. Sharp. “We try to help patients navigate toward the healthier options for their whole family, so you have a beautiful smile and can avoid the toxins.”
Mercury fillings have been a topic worldwide, with Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Germany banning or restricting them, and the European commission may reportedly soon call for their phasing out.
Dr. Sharp Natural Oral Care product line includes children’s toothpaste, adult toothpaste, fresh mint mouthwash, and dental tape. All products are safe to use, made in the USA, and are metal-free, gluten-free, have no artificial colors or flavors, are vegan, non-GMO, alcohol-free, fluoride-free, paraben-free and cruelty-free. Plus, they help whiten teeth and have xylitol, which is a natural sweetener that also helps to fight off cavities. The products are safe for the entire family. To learn more about Dr. Sharp Natural Oral Care products or see where they can be purchased, visit the site at: www.drsharpcare.com.