I don’t know about you but sometimes when I go to the gym, I am cringing at some of the things people are doing and sometimes wearing. If your like me and regularly go to the gym, its easy to spot the ‘regulars’ from the not so regular people. If you are one of those people who don’t go to offer or not sure what you should do and not do in the gym then this post is for you!
The DON’Ts of the Gym
- Skateboard shoes – I do not understand why people feel like wearing skateboard shoes to the gym is a good idea. It doesn’t affect me in anyway if you wear skateboarding shoes, but the amount of times I have seen people get injured wearing these is ridiculous. You can even read more about peoples views on skateboard shoes over at bodybuilding.com.
- Hog machines – Plenty of times I have gone to the gym (especially at the start of the New Year) and it has been packed. Many people are waiting to get on machines so be respectful. If you are on a treadmill, bike or elliptical and you know that other people want on, limit your time to 10-15mins. You can still get a good workout by doing a starter workout on those machines, just increase your output.
- Make a mess – When your at the gym and you move equipment around ensure to put it back to where it belongs. Its not your house, you can’t pick up things and move them and make a mess. Be courteous to everyone at the gym and put the equipment back in the right spot.
What to DO at the Gym
- Wear proper clothing – There have been many times when I see people at the gym not wearing the proper clothing. All you need is a good pair of shorts, shirt and if you want invest in the best compression socks available to help your muscles from getting fatigue sooner. By wearing the proper workout gear not only will you feel more comfortable, you will also also reduce the amount of injuries you get. Where proper shoes to make sure your ankles aren’t rolling over easily and aren’t slipping out. Ensure your shoe laces are tied up nice and tight so they don’t get trapped in any machine.
- Wipe down the machine – Once your done using your machine, PLEASE wipe it down. No one wants to go onto a machine covered in your sweat, that’s gross!
If you follow these simple do’s and don’ts of the gym you will make the gym environment that much better for everyone.