Rose, sandalwood and tea tree oil are popularly used essential oils with natural healing properties. They are used in treating number of common ailments.
This is one of the most expensive essential oils and is most used for its beautiful fragrance. It is an excellent anti-depressant and very claming on the nervous system.
Rose essential oil is helpful for:
1. Depression: Inhale, or use in carrier oil to massage the chest, neck and face.
2. Dehydrated, mature skin: Blend with sweet almond oil and massage the face and neck, or add a few drops to your night cream. Use rosewater as a skin freshener.
3. Insomnia: Put a few drops on your pillow, or dab a little under your nose before retiring.
4. Irregular periods: Mix in carrier oil and massage the abdomen and lower back daily.
This oil is distilled from the sandalwood tree and has lovely fragrance. Sandalwood is a parasitic tree: it buries its roots in the roots of other trees. Sandalwood is often an ingredient of incense.
Sandalwood essential oil is helpful for:
1. Dry cough: Inhale, mix in carrier oil and massage into the chest and throat.
2. Itchy, dry skin: Add to your bath or use mixed in carrier oil. (Avocado or wheat germ oils are very nourishing)
3. Nausea, vomiting: Mix in carrier oil and gently massage the stomach or inhale.
4. Stress, tension: Inhale, use in the bath or in a burner. Can aid sleep.
3. Tea tree
The tea tree is native to Australia and the oil is distilled from the leaves. This oil is an excellent antiseptic, 12 to 15 times more potent than carbolic. When applied neat to a cut, its antiseptic potency doubles! Keep this one in your first aid box.
Tea tree essential oil is helpful for:
1. Athlete’s foot: Add six drops to a large bowl of warm water and soak feet for 15 minutes. Repeat daily.
2. Boils, spots: Apply neat to the boil or spot using a cotton bud.
3. Cuts: Bath with neat oil.
4. Sore throat: Dilute five drops in a glass of water and gargle three times a day.
5. Thrush: Add six drops to your bath. Also, blend in carrier oil and massage the abdomen regularly.