Heart disease is the one of the leading causes of death for both men and women in the United States. You will be amazed to know that in every 43 seconds; someone in the United States has a heart attack. Heart attack usually happens when the blood supply to the heart stops. Cells in the heart muscle that do not get sufficient oxygen-carrying blood, starts to die. If instant treatment is not given to the victim to restore blood flow, there are increased chances of greater damage to the heart.
Key facts related to heart disease in the United States
Here are some of the key facts related to heart disease in the U.S., have a look:
- Around 610,000 people die of heart disease each year in the United States (1 in every 4 deaths)
- About 735,000 Americans have a heart attack every year. Of these, 550,000 are a first heart attack and 210,000 happen in people who have already had a heart attack.
- More than half of the deaths in the year 2009 due to heart disease were in men.
- CHD or Coronary heart disease is the most common type of heart disease, leading to death of more than 370,000 people annually.
Some of the key causes of heart disease and all cardiovascular diseases include lack of exercise, poor diet and other unhealthy habits. In addition, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, a previous heart attack or stroke, overweight/obesity, smoking and diabetes can also increase your chances of developing heart related disease and having a heart attack. In order to prevent heart related diseases, it is important to adopt smart choices now like healthy diet, exercise, healthy habits and more, which will pay off the rest of your life.
Almost half of sudden cardiac deaths happen outside a hospital and about 15% of people who have a heart attack will die from it. Therefore, it is vital to recognize the signs of a heart attack and act right away to increase the victim’s chances of survival.
Signs of a heart attack
According to the ‘National Heart Attack Alert Program’, some of the major signs of a heart attack are:
- Pain or discomfort (uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, or fullness) in the center or left side of the chest that lasts for more than a few minutes or that goes away and comes back.
- Pain or discomfort in the other areas of the upper body including arms, back, neck, jaw or stomach.
- Shortness of breath that often come with chest discomfort
- Other symptoms may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea, or light-headedness
In case, you notice any of the above mentioned symptoms in someone you know, you must call the helpline number immediately. Furthermore, if you or your loved one is having any heart related issue, it is vital to get it treated as soon as you find the problem. These days, there are many online services that allow you to pick a medical service at the price you can afford and in the area where you want that service. Just with one click, you can negotiate the treatment price with a bunch of top medical service provides and save on healthcare related to various heart issues.
In today’s hectic lifestyle, it is very important to take care of your heart’s health. Make sure to schedule a yearly checkup to have your blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose levels checked, maintain a healthy weight, start exercising, eat healthy, drink more water, quit smoking, and most importantly stay positive.