Even though Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) bodies require all forklift operators to study safety and operation, these regulations do not specify what type of class needs to be taken or how operators should be tested. This often leads employers to undertake the training of their workers themselves, but some states will have stricter laws then others.
But how can you ensure that you will pass your forklift licence test the first time and not have to repeat?
- Ask your employer about the legal requirements for earning a licence in your state. Your employer may be able to train you themselves or you may be required to attend special classes.
- If you live in an area where you need to complete a class, make sure you enroll in one that is designed for your industry or skill set.
- Ask your teacher (or employer) to explain how you will be tested. If taking a written test, ask for some sample questions. If taking a practical test, ask about the course you will expect.
- Set aside an hour of every day to study the material that you will need to know for your forklift licence; don’t it to the last minute.
- The week before your test, take a few self-timed practice tests so that you can feel comfortable with the format. For the practical component, try to come into work early or leave late for practice.
- Review all of the information you have been given about safe forklift use; flashcards are a good way to help you memorize the details.
- Make sure that you get a good night’s sleep the night before your licence test, as showing up tired can cause you to make mistakes. Try to calm your nerves before going to bed.
Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to ensure that you will pass your forklift licence test the first time around. All that you can do is ensure that you have enrolled in the right course, that you study the material with plenty of time before the test and that you get a good night’s sleep. Beyond this, you need to rely on your knowledge, skills and wits.
Read More About Forklift training visit: www.liftech.com.au