In fact 90 percent of the vitamin D in your body is produced because of your skin’s exposure to the ultraviolet light. There are supplements and foods you can consume to acquire the other 10 percent, but nothing is more beneficial than a 15-minute walk in the sunshine.
Skin cancer warnings tell us the exact opposite, but you can keep yourself safe and full of vitamin D by limiting your exposure to 10 to 15 minutes. That 15-minute walk in the sunshine will provide you with months of the beneficial affects of vitamin D because it is fat soluble. This means it is stored and dissolved in body fat versus being water soluble, which is not stored.
Q. Why is Vitamin D Good for My Skin?
Many reasons, but most importantly vitamin D has been linked to the prevention of some skin cancers because it is believed that it protects the skin cells from DNA damage that might lead to cancer. Vitamin D has even proved effective in treating psoriasis. The active ingredient is calcitrol, which prevents lesions from forming and also aiding the immune system in fighting the disorder.
Q. Vitamin D is Good for My Body and Mind
Sunlight benefits cannot be denied; they include: improving your mood, treating and preventing heart disease, several types of cancer, tuberculosis, heart disease, flu and colds. The risks of not having enough vitamin D include: depression, liver and kidney disease, possibly colon and other types of cancer, and softening of the bones, which could lead to rickets, a disease that stunts growth, and osteoporosis.
Q. Where Can I get Vitamin D, Other Than the Sun?
There are inexpensive injections and supplements of vitamin D available that will stay in your system for quite some time. It is also found in cheese, milk, eggs, liver, and in oily fish like salmon, mackerel, and tuna.