Today, antique furniture not only holds the interest of the true art enthusiast, but it is also popular among common house women, because it can liven up the grace of home décor and impart a classic touch to any house. There are various antique reproductions in the market, but these replicas can never surpass the true charm of a genuine antique item. So if you own a set of antique furniture in the living room, you know where you stand. Therefore, go through this article and learn how to clean and preserve your prized possessions by following tips.
Dust your antique furniture along the wood grain with a very soft cloth. Do not use coarse materials to wipe the surface, otherwise, the surfaces can be scratched and lose luster. If the furniture surface is dirty, mild soap water is very useful. After dried, dab some solvent-based cleaning wax in a cloth and clean your antique products with it. Remember that you have to wipe it away with a dry cloth later.
Clean rough and uneven surfaces or carving with a brush or a vacuum nozzle. Gas, benzene, acetone cannot be used to clean furniture surface, since those organic solvent will leave scar on it. Besides, lemon oil helps to preserve antique pieces, but it is not suitable to clean furniture, as it will dry and darken the wood.
Other Various Cleaning Materials:
1. Soap: Use soft cloth or sponge with dilute soap water to clean your wooden furniture at intervals, then apply oil waxes to make a smooth touch.
2. Milk: Overdue milk or general milk can be used to remove dirt from wooden furniture. Just dip a cloth in the milk, and then wipe the surface of furniture. Finally, clean again with water. This method is applicable for different furniture.
3. Tea: Use a tea ball that is a bundle of tea leaves to wipe furniture, or use cooled tea water to clean it. This method can make furniture more smooth and bright.
4. White vinegar: When furniture is polluted by ink, it is a good way to use a sofa cloth with the water that is mixed with the same amount of white vinegar and hot water to rub furniture surface. This method particularly applies to care for mahogany furniture and solid wood furniture.
5. Beer: Fully mixing 1400 milliliter boiling beer, 14 grams of sugar and 28 grams of beeswax together, spread on furniture by cloth after cooling. After that, use dry cloth to wipe clean.