When it comes to your vehicle, it is important that you keep it well maintained. This is because if you fail to do so, a number of problems can occur. Some can cause inconvenience, other great expense. Most importantly, some could cause danger to you or to others, which is why you need to run essential checks on your vehicle on a regular basis.
One of the things that you need to check is the condition of your tires, as this can have a massive impact on the performance as well as the safety of your vehicle. You should check both the condition of your tires and the air pressure on a regular basis in order to promote safe driving, make sure you are not driving illegally, and to make sure your car performs as it should.
What is the condition of your tires so important?
There are many parts of your vehicle that you need to maintain and keep in good shape for both performance and safety reasons. Remember, cars can easily go from being convenient vehicles to being death traps if they are not properly maintained. The reasons why the condition of your tires is so important include:
- Braking distance: If your tires are in poor condition, you will find that your stopping distance increases when it comes to braking. You will need to work harder and faster to get your vehicle to stop in time, which will increase the risk of skidding and collision.
- Consumption of fuel: When you drive with tires that are in poor condition, you will find that your vehicle consumes more fuel. We all know that the cost of filling up has increased so you will end up having to pay out more for gas.
- Increased emissions: We all want to do our bit for the environment, but driving vehicles is one of the ways in which we damage the environment due to emissions. Driving with bad tires is even worse because it actually increases CO2 emissions, which is even worse for the environment.
- Driving illegally: If your tires are very worn and there is little or no tread on them, you could be causing a hazard to yourself and other people. In addition, you will find that you may be driving illegally because your tires are not roadworthy or safe.
- Performance: The overall performance of your vehicle can also be affected by your tires. If they are too small, old, or at the wrong pressure, it can affect the suspension of the vehicle, which means that you will be in for a rough ride.
Another thing to bear in mind is that tires that are in bad condition or damaged could result in a blow-out when you are on the road. This is something that puts your life and the life of other road users in serious danger, as it could cause a major accident. This is another key reason to check your tires regularly.