The second gravesite was accidentally discovered in 1971; the East German communist government never looked for the first site. After the fall of the Berlin Wall, interest grew in the search; however, once researchers zeroed in on the general location of the grave, the owners of the property refused to allow digging on their land. After years of legal wrangling, a settlement was reached last fall, clearing the way for the municipal government to buy the land. Once the site has been excavated, a monument will be erected.
In 1990, the Soviet Union finally admitted responsibility for 4,500 graves in the Katyn forest, part of a larger massacre of at least 15,000 Polish prisoners of war. The Nazis found the graves in 1943, but the Soviet Union claimed an investigation proved the Nazis’ guilt in the matter. The world believed them until the government came clean 47 years later.