Lat Pulldown is one of the most beneficial exercise to keep shoulders healthy, develop upper body strength and mass building. However, there are few common mistakes people often commit while performing Lat pulldown, which can easily be avoided. There mistakes are as under:
Four Common Mistakes
- Avoid Pulling the Bar behind Your Neck
Can’t really say about the origins of behind the neck pulldowns, but it this is not something that is recommended by experts. When you are doing your lat pulldowns this way, it automatically shortens your lats range of motion, which is extremely important for your exercise.
- Don’t Pulldown below your Chest
This is the next important thing to avoid during lat pulldowns, its side effect is that it disengages your lats and bring your shoulder forward, which is referred as anterior glide. For someone who has cranky shoulders, it may result in some lingering pain and irritation.
- Avoid Using Body’s Momentum
If you are using body’s momentum, it will change the pulling angle and the lat pulldown will become more of mid-back workout. If this is happening then it is quite possible that you are using much heavier weight.
- Don’t Hold the Bar Extreme wide
Going too wide will shorten your range of motion, but if you have cranky shoulders it will be even worse as it will aggravate the joints. So, the recommended position to hold the bar is just above or slightly wider than your shoulder length, normally this is a position where some bars usually bend.
Here are few important tips for Lats Pulldown perfect workout:
- While keeping your chest tall, raise your chest to the bar
- Make sure you elbows are always pointed down
- It is important to squeeze your lats, imagine that you are pulling from armpits
- Always grab the bar a little wider, outside your shoulders
- V-grip is the recommended grip for beginners
- Using Weight Lifting Gear for your lat pulldown will help you with better grip
It is hoped these tips will help you improve your lat pulldown exercise. If you want to keep your shoulders injury free and healthy, only choose the best variations of lat pulldown.