Are you planning to replace your old mattress and buy a new one? Are you not able to decide which the best is – latex mattress or memory foam mattress? It is generally believed that latex mattresses are natural ones and are good foe health. It is also believed that memory foam mattresses are synthetic ones and not good for health? Is it true? You will be able to make a decision if you get the answer for this question.
How are latex mattress made?
Latex mattresses refer to the foam mattresses made from latex, a material extracted from rubber trees. Latex rubber is used not only to make mattresses but also to make other products like medical gloves. Latex mattresses are made using a process called Talalay process. What are the steps involved in Talalay process?
- Liquid rubber is whipped to form foam
- The foam is poured into molds with rods
- The foam poured will have air bubbles. To remove the bubbles a vacuum is placed on the mold. This helps in even distribution of rubber foam throughout the mold.
- Then carbon dioxide is passed through the rods to freeze the foam.
- After that heat is passed to get latex foam.
This is the process used for getting natural latex. Is all latex purely natural? No, it is not. 100% natural latex is very expensive and is not affordable to all. This gave rise to the manufacture of blended latex. Blended latex contains 30% natural latex and 70% synthetic latex.
How are memory foam mattress made?
Memory foam mattresses, the brain child of NASA, are made through a complicated technical process.
- Alcohols extracted from petroleum products are called Polyols. This is mixed with isocyanates. This is the first step.
- When this mixture is whipped together, an exothermic reaction is caused. This makes the mixture to bubble up and to become foamy.
- Later, this mixture is vacuum sealed. Chunks of foam called buns are formed as a result of vacuum sealing.
- Bun is heated again and left to set for 8 hours or more.
- Once the foam is set, it becomes inert. Then it is washed and left to dry.
- When all these steps are completed, it is cut into pieces desired sizes.
- The pieces are assembled to form the finished product. To assemble the mattress a few steps have to be followed. The core layer is made with polyurethane. The memory foam layering is set above the core layer. On the top these layers are covered with a flame proof fabric. The finishing cover on the top completes the whole process.
Latex vs. memory foam mattress – which is more preferred?
Latex can be either natural latex or synthetic latex or blended latex. Natural latex is good for your health. Good quality latex mattresses contain 95% pure rubber. Blended latex mattresses contain 30% natural latex and 70% synthetic latex. Synthetic latex mattresses do not contain natural latex. You have to check the organic certification to know if it is natural or not. Natural latex mattresses are very expensive. Synthetic latex mattresses may cause dangerous side effects to health.
It is true that memory foam mattresses are made from synthetic materials and may possess dangers to health. However, memory foam mattresses certified with CertiPUR-US certificate are not dangerous to health. Memory foam mattresses are comfortable to sleep and are not very expensive.
You should decide which mattress will suit your needs and your budget after doing a thorough research. Visit www.mattress-inquirer.com to buy the mattress of your needs.