Internet Hosting is the backbone of our cyber world. Www runs on web hosting services where all the data is being uploaded for dissemination. VPS hosting, Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting services etc. are the types of most commonly offered web hosting services. By web hosting, your website could be accessed from the internet and it is visible to the World Wide Web.
Just consider that a website is a bunch of information, which constitute the stuff you ought to share on the internet. Hosting Providers assign some data storage space on their servers along with net connection to your website. Simply, hosting companies provide you data space and internet connectivity.
There are many types of web hosting services provided by web hosting companies, that are mainly VPS, dedicated, Cloud, Shared etc.
Web Hosting Platforms:-
There are two kinds of platforms mainly used for web hosting operations, which are specifically designed operating systems used for web hosting. Web hosting platforms are free for the choice of operating systems.
If your website is a stable website upon which HTML and CSS are used, then it can be hosted using either of both the platforms. The platforms are decided on the type of coding used to build a website. This is done by taking an eye on the technical terms. Linux web hosting is used for the sites made using MySQL or PHP. On contrary, if the website is build employing coding like SQL, ASP.NET, Access or ASP then Windows would the best and most suitable option.
On the recent past Linux Shared Web Hosting is contributing a lion’s share in this domain.
Linux Web Hosting:-
Linux is basically comprised of UNIX, which is an open source platform predominantly used for web is hosting. Linux also carries a special specification known as LAMP. LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, Maria DB/MySQL, and Perl/PHP/Python. LAMP exhibits commutation of operating systems and server innovations which are shared through the internet connection. Thus giving us most affordable web hosting for our website.
Linux is an open source platform, so it is updated and modified by everyone time to time which creates a wide range of applications, snippets, tools etc. Which makes it modern and user friendly.
Linux provide you an additional special feature over windows, which only uses FTP for file transfer or upload. That is, SSH or Telnet Access which introduces TCP(transmission control protocol) for users. CGI (Common Gateway Interface) helps us for browser applications, in Linux systems.
The Chief Benefits of using Linux Web Hosting are as under:
- Security and Reliability: Linux is famous for ultimate security and extreme reliability. It provides safest way of data communication between server and user.
- Backup Solutions: In modern age security is a major risk which can’t be perfectly managed. In recent years much of the bigger brands sites were hacked. So, it having the backup is inevitable. Built in Tools of Linux provide you the easiest way of data backup.
- Unique Features: FTP access, Common Gateway Interface (CGI) scripting, MySQL services along with email services and SSH access are some of the best features of Linux web hosting.
- User Friendly: Handling, managing and administration of this hosting is really simple.
- Technical Support: Best Troubleshooting Tools and Problem Solving Options are best characteristics of Linux. Which makes it more reliable and comfortable.
- Affordable: As it is an open source platform the software and tools are free, also there is no license fee. So it costs you much lesser making it more specious.
There are not too many existent, some of the drawbacks of using Linux Hosting are as follows:
- Domain Knowledge: Having inadequate knowledge of Linux is some time hazardous for its users.
- Compatibility: In earlier days the windows made website were not compatible when runs on Linux. But now this problem is eradicated using ASP.Net.
Everything has its dark side too. The thing is user must maximize the positive outcomes. With minor disadvantages Linux web hosting has an upper hand over windows. Joomla, WordPress, PHP and many other bigger web designing and web development names runs on Linux. Which is the root cause of its enormous use all over the world.