PHILIPPINES – Despite earlier pronouncements from Top Rank’s Bob Arum and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, boxing’s first big fight for 2009, the Pacquiao-Hatton showdown, is not yet a done deal.
Sources closely associated with the number one pound-for-pound boxer in the world, Manny Pacquiao, say the Filipino boxing icon is not backing down on his demand to have a bigger share of the fight purse. His promoter, Bob Arum, earlier announced a 50-50 split in the fight purse, between Pacquiao and his opponent, Briton Ricky Hatton, the current IBO junior welterweight champion.
In separate press announcements, Pacquiao’s adviser Rex Salud and legal adviser Franklin Gacal, indicated that the Filipino prizefighter is not too keen on the latest offer from the Hatton camp for a 52-48 split in favor of Pacquiao. “Wala pa din. Ayaw pa din ni Manny. Walang magandang offer (There’s none yet and Manny won’t budge. There’s no good offer yet),” Gacal said. After Arum’s announcement of a 50-50 split, Pacquiao demanded a 60-40 split, saying he deserves a bigger share because he’s a bigger crowd-draw than Hatton. In fact most boxing analysts point to Pacquiao as the sport’s biggest draw today after beating Oscar De La Hoya into retirement last December.
Various proposals are being floated around however to end the impasse. Salud said that "Manny might consider a 55-45 scheme". Another scenario that might be acceptable to Pacquiao is for him to get 55 percent of the revenues generated from the United States and the rest of the world and 45 percent from the income in Great Britain.
The Filipino boxer has earlier threatened to pull out of Arum’s verbal arrangement with Golden Boy promotions, and seek a better deal against Floyd Mayweather Jr or Edwin Valero, if an acceptable deal cannot be worked out. The Pacquiao-Hatton fight, expected to gross $58.4 million, has been slated to be held on May 2 in MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada.