Here are some helpful party etiquettes you can watch out for:
1. Know your limit on alcohol. Don’t exceed your limit: Free booze is a major attraction in most corporate parties. And often times I have seen people get drunk and land themselves in uncompromising situations. Know your limit and always plan safe drinking. Safe drinking is a concept where you drink enough to enjoy the high and still stay in control. Don’t go with the flow, pre decide how much you will drink, and stick to it.
2. Dance with women but don’t grope: It’s a nice thing to dance with women, and there is a thin line between dancing and groping. Women have a knack of smelling out your intentions even if they have had a few drinks, so maintain your posture. And even if the woman is inviting you to grope, it is you who will be looked upon as a sleaze, not the woman, be classy not sleazy.
3. Don’t call women back to your room for coffee: No matter how drunk you are, no matter how interested you are in getting to know the lady better, no matter how much she insists that you speak in your room away from the maddening crowd, don’t do it. You will be found out. Don’t do it, you will regret it the day after. A true gentleman would express his interest in the woman without the alcohol.
5. Have a drink in your hand even if you don’t drink alcohol: I see a lot of non alcoholics get pressured into drinking or even ridiculed about not indulging. One must understand and fore see the situation and be prepared accordingly. Having a soft drink in your hand gives out the perception that you could be having a cock tail. Play along. You can never win an argument with a person who is two drinks down. Camouflage your non alcohol status and enjoy the party with your Pepsi on the rocks.
6. Learn to shake a leg. Be a sport and participate on the dance floor: If you know that you are going to be called to parties, learn to dance enough to move to the music with rhythm. You will get pulled onto the dance floor anyway, people don’t want to look foolish alone, they will drag you into the show too. Behaving sissy at that time won’t add points to your image. Learn a step or two and you will be admired. Tune into the dance contests and you can easily pick up some style.