The finest natural pearls are fished almost exclusively from the Persian Gulf and the China Sea, while the best cultivated ones come from Japan, Korea and more recently Australia.
Natural or real pearls come mainly from oysters, although there are other bi-valve mollusks from which can produce them. Cultured pearls are produced by artificially introducing a foreign object into the fleshy part of oysters, which become coated with nacre in a similar manner to natural pearls. Imitation pearls are also made in various ways.
Following are the general properties of Gemstone
Planet : Moon
Cosmic Color : Orange
Sign : Cancer
Element : Water
Time : Evening
Day : Monday
Metal : Silver
The following are the flaws found in Pearls:
1. Cracks on surface
2. Lines on the body of the Pearl.
3. Joint like appearance.
4. Mole of black color, the wearing of such Pearl gives very inauspicious results,
5. Without any luster
6. With spots,
7. One with dirt inside it,
Genuine Pearl should have:
• Moonlike, shining white color
• Perfectly round, globular shape and size
• Compactness, which gives it a high specific gravity
• Luster, soft glamour, attractiveness, and brilliance of reflection
• Smoothness, which gives an agreeable sensation to the eyes
• Spotlessness and freedom from blemishes (dents, scratches, ridges) and impurities
The gemstone helps to prevent the following diseases:
• Throat troubles, asthma, bronchitis, varicose loins, nervous debility, cancer, typhoid.
• Colic pains, worms, intestinal disorders, tumors, peritonitis.
• Eye diseases, lunacy, paralysis, hysteria, epilepsy, cold, and cough.