Many people want to treat blackheads effectively & squeezing them is obviously not an answer. Improper treatments can further irritate our skin & may cause scarring to occur. Instead of squeezing blackheads, we should directly deal with the causes:
1. Cleansing: It is essential to cleanse a skin that’s affected by pollutants, grime & dirt each day. Regular cleansing routine is essential to treat blackheads, as a way to remove excess dead skin & excess oil. It is significant to use more gentle cleansers because harsher products could worsen the problem due to increased sebum production. Squeaky clean skin that is tight & dry will eventually produce more oil than usual as our skin seeks to compensate. It is moreover significant to avoid any product that contains sodium laurel sulfate because it could increase sebum production.
2. Exfoliation: Exfoliation could treat clogged pores & minimize congestion. It helps our skin clean by removing dead skin regularly. After the dead skin is removed, moisturizers & other skin care products can work more effectively, as they will come in contact with the actual skin cells, instead of dead ones. There are a few things to consider when we select proper exfoliants. We shouldn’t use body scrub because it can be too harsh for our skin. Facial skin is more delicate & softer; so it is more significant to look for softer, very fine exfoliant. Harsh scrub may roughly scour our facial skin & it can damage live skin cells. This may cause inflammation & redness, which won’t make us look more attractive.
3. Enzyme peels: We can use enzyme peels to clear unwanted objects on our skin. Enzyme peels can break the bond between the skin surface & dead skin cells to speed up sloughing & skin cell regeneration. This will result in improved flexibility & reduction in dry skin flakes. Pineapple & pumpkin contain a gentle kind of enzyme protease that can loosen the bond between dead & live skin cells. After applying fruit-based enzyme peels, our skin should feel silky smooth & cleansed. For satisfactory effect, we can use enzyme peels approximately twice a week.
4. Light moisturizers: We should avoid moisturizers that contain petrochemical oils, butter & waxes. The heavy chemicals could contribute to more congestion & the formation of blackheads. However, butter & waxes can still be useful for people with dry skin. Those with combination skin should use moisturizing products with hyaluronic acid that will improve moisture without causing the blockage.
5. Glycolic acid & salicylic acid: Skin care products with these ingredients could effectively treat congested skin. They can soften & dissolve blackheads, contributing to a much cleaner skin. However, prolonged use of glycolic acid & salicylic acid can cause dryness to combination & normal skin. Excessive use may result in irritation & redness, especially when the skin comes into contact with the acidic substance, including vinegar. We should consult skin specialists before using glycolic acid & salicylic acid, due to some possible side effects.
6. Proper diet & lifestyle habits: We can flush toxins & other harmful substances out of our body by drinking plenty of water & performing exercise regularly. A healthy diet should consist of 25 percent protein & 45 percent carbohydrate, preferably from low GI types that we can obtain from grains, vegetables & fruits. Our diet should consist of 30 percent fat, preferably from healthy sources, like fish & nuts.