The South Korean government has ramped up its aggression in response to a tiny fishing village’s peaceful resistance to the construction of a naval base there. This follows growing global attention to the residents’ cause.
Jeju Island means Women’s Island. It stands for an ancient balance. We must save it from the cult of militarism that endangers us all, women and men. – Gloria Steinem
Your emergency action is required:
Here is what you can do to help the peaceful resistance:
1) Please forward this to the media and as many people as possible.
2) Sign the petition urging South Korean President Lee to stop construction of the military base! After signing please share the petition with your social network.
3) Call the Korean Embassy in your country and let them know that Jeju does not want a naval base!
4) If you live in the United States, please call the South Korean Embassy in Washington, DC ASAP and demand the release of the villagers. The South Korean Embassy in Washington: (202) 797-6343 or 202-939-5600
5) Write to the South Korean Defense Attaché in Washington at email@example.com and demand a halt to construction of the naval base.
6) Send a message to South Korean Ambassador to the U.S. Han Duk-Soo letting him know how building a navy base on Jeju threatens its chances of becoming one of the New 7 Wonders of Nature. Demand the release of the prisoners.
7) Email U.S. Ambassador Kathleen Stevens and let her know that we know that the U.S. Forces in Korea oversees the South Korean military, and as American citizens, we won’t stand for more military destruction in the name of so-called national security. EmbassySeoulPA@state.gov.
8) Write the representative to the UN Human Rights Council at Korea@un.int about how the naval base construction is violating the human rights of Gangjeong villagers and protesters, such as Sung-hee Choi, who faces up to five years in prison for her nonviolent resistance. DEMAND that the UN Human Rights council details what they have done to fight against these HR violations.
9) Stay updated on the resistance by joining the "Save Jeju" facebook page.
10) Spread the word about the inspiring resistance in Jeju! Contact the media about this story to raise their awareness about this struggle and urge them to get involved!
11) Make a donation to Global Network to provide support to the peaceful protesters!
FREE THE JEJU PRISONERS OF CONSCIENCE !
STOP THE NAVAL BASE – RESPECT HUMAN RIGHTS