Smoking cigarettes has long been known to lead to a plethora of health conditions and oftentimes, death. With the invention of e-cigarettes (electronic cigarettes) or VAPING as it has come to be known, many were under the belief that a safe alternative to traditional smoking was finally here.
SAFER yes, but safe, not exactly. The process of vaping includes heating oil that is contained in a cartridge through a battery. The fuel is then turned into a vapor that is inhaled. Because what is inhaled is like water vapor, the prominent theory was that this process was much healthier than smoking, but the real facts bear to light a different story.
Here are 5 reasons why vaping is not a healthy choice:
- The oil contains nicotine-Nicotine IS bad, no matter how it is ingested. It is an addictive chemical that causes inflammation in the lungs when inhaled, an increase in blood pressure and heart rate, and has been linked to hardening of the arteries that can lead to heart attack or stroke.
- The oils contain many other potentially harmful substances-In addition to nicotine, the vape oil contains many other chemicals that have NOT yet been identified. You have no idea WHAT you are inhaling…
- You are more likely to smoke real cigarettes-Studies have shown that even those who have taken up vaping to quit smoking often eventually go back to smoking real cigarettes or they both smoke AND vape. In addition, those that first started vaping often end up smoking real cigarettes.
- Vapes and e-cigarettes are not FDA regulated-When you buy a pack of cigarettes or chewing tobacco, there are health related warnings right on the packages. The FDA has determined there are clear links to specific health issues such as mouth cancer, lung cancer, etc. A vape or e-cigarette does not have that warning, because they are not regulated, and the FDA has absolutely no idea what you are ingesting or what the effects are. As more and more stories come out of people suffering lung injuries, various types of sickness and more after vaping, it is becoming extremely evident that these “alternatives” are likely not healthy for you whatsoever.
- They can EXPLODE-As harmful as cigarettes are, the fact that they can explode is a danger unique to their use. While such incidence is rare, there are an increasing number of cases that exist where the battery of an e-cigarette has become extremely hot and eventually exploded. These explosions have caused severe burns to those who had these devices in their pockets and even injury to their lips, face and teeth for those that experience an explosion while the device was in their mouth.
A real SAFE alternative to smoking is, NOT smoking. E-cigarettes represent an unknown danger but a danger certainly, nonetheless. Extreme caution should be taken if this is an activity you decide to choose. But if you want a healthy alternative to smoking…vaping and e-cigarettes simply aren’t it.