For many people, the holiday season is a time of fun and festivities. But for millions of others it is a time of stress and non-stop activities that drain them. Many people experience fatigue, stress, and irritability during the holiday season, making it important that they focus on getting some rest and relaxation. Putting for the effort to get some good old fashion R&R this holiday will help people enjoy it more and avoid the stress-filled days.
“Especially during the holiday season it is important for people to take the time to rest and relax, even if they have to schedule it on their calendar,” explains Michelle Darnell business owner and innkeeper. “If they don’t, they will not enjoy the season and will feel drained and overwhelmed.”
Here are some tips for getting some R&R this holiday season:
· Get away. Book a special stay at quite place away from the hustle and bustle of the holiday shopping frenzy. Staying at a place like Belle Grove Plantation Bed & Breakfast, people can rest in one of their four master suites, take a relaxing tour of the grounds, and take in the laid back festive atmosphere.
· Hire someone. If there’s a part that needs to be held, whether for corporate or personal reasons, opt to have it held somewhere they will do all the work. This will help free up time and avoid stress.
· Get help. Many people don’t like to ask for help, which causes them even greater stress. If help is needed, reach out for it, whether it’s financially, or just asking someone with help picking up a few things from the grocery store.
· Say no. It is hard for some people to say no, even though they may want to, so they take on far more than they should, adding to the stress during the holidays. Pick and choose the commitments that make the most sense for the family and then politely decline the others.
· Stay active. People tend to feel better when they stay active and eat healthier. During the holiday season it is particularly important to stay active to help avoid the stress. Aim to get at least 30 minutes of exercise per day, stay hydrated, and try to eat as healthy as possible considering the abundance of holiday snacks that will be around.
· Meditate. Engaging in meditation is a great way to de-stress and relax at anytime. Taking even five minutes to sit calmly and focus on breathing in and out can help clear the mind and recharge the spirit.
· Get pampered. This time of the year is a good time to pick a pampering day and get a pedicure, facial, or massage. Having a spa treatment done will provide a relaxing down time, while also making the person feel great.
“During the holiday season people are busy doing everything for others, but you have to do for yourself, too,” added Darnell. “When you take the time to relax and take care of yourself you will find the season is more enjoyable and you feel great.”
Upcoming holiday events at the plantation include:
· Christmas holiday tours: Daytime and Candlelight Tours – Thursday -Sunday – Daytime Tours 1 to 4pm – Candlelight 7 to 9pm – StartsDecember 4th and ends December 21st
The Belle Grove Plantation is located just 90 minutes from Washington DC and Baltimore, and 50 minutes from Richmond. The historic mansion is ranked #29 on the top 100 Architecturally Significant Structures in Virginia. Built it 1791, it is set on the banks of the Rappahannock River, and offers views of both the river and plantation. The bed and breakfast offers four master suites for guests to rent, as well as public tours, events, and other activities. For more information on Belle Grove Plantation, visit the site at: www.bellegroveplantation.com.