As people continue to look for ways to turn back the clock on aging, there is one effective treatment that has emerged as a leader in the field. Botox injections have become so popular that according to the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstruction Surgery, they are the most commonly performed non-surgical procedure among women. In fact, it’s estimated that there are over six million Botox procedures per year, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. What’s more, there is now a trend in the number of people seeking the treatment who are under the age of 30.
“Many people opt for this type of treatment because it is easy, quick, and effective,” explains Dr. Sanjiv Saini of MD Dermatology, with locations in Edgewater, Glen Burnie, and Lexington Park, Maryland. “There are many people in their 20s beginning to seek out this type of treatment and address the wrinkles as soon as they begin to appear.”
Here are some tips to keep in mind for those considering Botox injections:
- Do it for yourself. The best reason to get Botox injections is for yourself. If you get them to feel more confident and address problem areas, you will likely be pleased with the results. But don’t do it because someone else has pressured you into it.
- Choose the right doctor. It’s important to choose a doctor who is well experienced with giving injectables and has a good track record. This way the doctor can give you an accurate idea of what to expect for your particular needs and can give you an assessment of how effective treatment will be.
- Know what to expect. Botox injections are used to address such things as wrinkles, crow’s feet, and frown lines. They provide a temporary reduction in these things, lasting anywhere from 3-4 months.
- Follow doctor’s orders. Before and after the procedure it is important to follow the doctor’s orders. The doctor will provide preparation information, as well recovery care. Generally people resume normal activities immediately following the procedure, but it is important to not rub or scratch the treated areas.
- When it’s time for the injections. Numbing the areas being treated is an option, which gives people the ability to go with numbing by using an injection, spray, or topical cream.
- Don’t plan big events. Some people experience bruising in the treated areas following the procedure. For this reason it is a good idea to not plan any special events for up to a week after the procedure takes place.
- Find a reputable injector. It’s different for every state, but medical doctors, physician assistants and registered nurses are primarily the ones that can have the training to inject. It shouldn’t be an issue to call an office and ask for a consultation prior to having an area done. Ask around. Your friends and family may have used someone they love
- You are never too young to begin. If you get started in your 20’s, you can keep aging at bay.
- Plan on getting injections every three months. The effects will wear off, so it’s an investment to looking and feeling your best. It’s not a one time thing.
- There are several options to choose from. Botox, Xeomin, and Dysport are the most known. Your provider should be able to tell you about each and let you know which one is recommended. Botox, Xeomin, and Dysport are primarily used for a few areas of the face- glabellar lines (between the eyes) is usually the first area, forehead, crow’s feet, etc. If it’s for your marionette lines (smile lines) or lip enhancements, that’s a filler, not a Botox product. Going back to our first point, finding a good injector is key and they will tell you what products for the area.
- Have fun! After a few days you will see improvements where the lines are smoother and relaxed!
“Having Botox injections is such an easy and quick way to address the wrinkles and frown lines,” added Dr. Saini. “Millions are opting for this procedure every year, and millions more will once they learn how simple, safe, and effective it really is.”
Dr. Saini is a premier cosmetic dermatologist who performs Botox, as well as a variety of other treatments. MD Dermatology offers a full line of clinical dermatology procedures including precision neck contouring, laser services, injection services, microdermabrasion, chemical peels, and more. They are a medically directed spa that offers a wide range of services to meet the unique needs of every patient. For additional information, visit their site at: www.mddermatology.com.