(The 5th FORE International Conference in OB and HR)
The FORE International OB & HR Conference (FIOHC) 2016, the 5th International Conference of FORE School of Management, New Delhi was recently organised in the institution’s campus in association with NHRDN, SHRM India, and BRICS – Chamber of Commerce & Industry (BRICS-CCI).
The theme, “Riding the New Tides – Navigating the Future through Effective People Management” of the conference delved into real life anecdotes, shared ideas, trends in the industry, thus bringing HR professionals and academia, of the world under one roof for 2 days. Research papers and business case-studies were by presented by participants from India and abroad making it a truly enriching learning experience for the participants. Dr. Prachi Bhatt, convener of the conference, introduced the Conference Theme to the audience.
Dr. Jitendra Das, Director, FORE School of Management, in his welcome address said, “Talent management has evolved significantly and strategic new age HR practices are critical for both employee and organization. It is a collaborative process of shared vision.Changes and disruption are being driven by technology. Performance metrics and talent segregation is getting mapped with market realities and the business environment. Several versions of the bell curve-based performance appraisal system can be seen customized as per the organization’s culture.HR has evolved to Business-HR and is no more seen as a department which does not generate revenue”. Talking about performance based appraisal systems, Dr. Das said “High-potential or HiPos are critical to any organization but many organizations fall short in the identification of the HiPos and fail to understand the factors that drive these HiPos.”
Dr. Stewart Clegg, Professor, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia, the only Australian to be recognized by Harvard Business Review as one of the world’s top-200 ‘Management Gurus’ in What’s the Big Idea? Creating and Capitalizing on the Best New Management Thinking; was the chief guest. Dr. Stewart in his keynote address on ‘People Management, and the Corporation after the Global Financial Crisis’’ talked about economic neoliberalism, digital era, and about challenges of change. “In 2014, the richest 1% of the people in the world owned 48% of global wealth, leaving just 52% to be shared between the other 99% of adults on the planet,” he stated. He also talked about the tools and analyses used for theory building later during the workshops. Among other dignitaries from academia also present were Dr. Rishikesha T. Krishnan, Director, IIM Indore.
Corporate leaders from various industries and across verticals were present : AshwiniMehra, Former Dy. Managing Director & Corporate Development Officer, State Bank of India; Ravi P. Singh Director (Personnel), Power Grid India Ltd.;VeenaSwarup Former Director, Engineers India Ltd., Delhi; PrakashRao, Founding Member and V.P, People Strong; Dr. Yasho V. Verma, Former COO, LG Electronics India Pvt. Ltd. PrakashRao shared with the audience how technology is fast becoming enabler of change for HR in organisations with mobile apps and even robots replacing human interface when it comes to jobs which are repetitive in nature like on-boarding of a new employee or answering a FAQ.
SoumenChatterjee, Global Lead-Strategic HR and LOB People Practices, HCL Technologies; ShaaistaQuettawala, Head-HR, Bain Capability Centre, Bain & Company; S. Y. Siddiqui, Chief Mentor, Maruti Suzuki India Ltd., spoke about the innovations in people management in their respective organization.
“People don’t stick to a company because of compensation, foreign trips or promotions. They do because they identify with the values of the company”, said Quettewala who focused on Design Thinking for HR professionals.
Suresh D. Tripathy, VP-HR, Tata Steel India, mentioned how core skills were gradually getting prominence over generic skill-sets and soon it may be the practice where a few employees would be part of the core team while rest as contractual employers. Dr. VinayshilGautam, Sr. MD & Principal Economic Adviser Protiviti India Member Pvt. Ltd, and Chairman,DK International Foundation said, “We need to understand that no individual is hired – it is the skills which are hired.”
The FORE International OB &HR Conference generated fair amount of attention amongst HR fraternity and academia in the past and this time too it was well attended by more the 250 participants from around the globe with more than 70 research papers being presented. Workshops on HR analytics and SHRM certifications were conducted by professionals from the industry. The proceedings of the conference – FIOHC 2016 Book shall be published by Emerald group publishing (India).